About the AACA Library
Information About the AACA Library
The first collection of automotive literature was bought from the estate of Alfred S. Lewerenz of California in 1977. The groundbreaking for the Library was May 12, 1985. Since that time, the library has grown to include:
- Nearly 400,000 pieces of sales literature, photographs, owners manuals and clippings.
- More than 3,000 shop manuals and parts books.
- 6,000+ reference books.
- Over 40,000 periodicals with nearly 1,800 different titles. Click
here to see the
complete listing of titles. (Updated 5/2012)
- Maps, postcards, and paint chips.
- Blueprints, wiring diagrams, annual reports, specification and technical drawings.
After months of data entry and archiving, the Pierce-Arrow
Society's holdings can now be found on the AACA Library
Online Catalog. The PAS has housed their resources within
the AACA Library for over a year. You can download a
PDF listing of PAS holdings here, or do a keyword search
for "Pierce-Arrow Society" in our literature catalog.
The AACA Library merged with the National AACA in January 2008. As a result, paid AACA members are eligible to receive up to 1.5 hours of free research a year. This is just one of many great benefits you receive with your AACA membership.
The Library can be accessed by letter, phone, e-mail, fax and walk-in. Our Research Request Form is available here.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Saturday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Chris Ritter, Librarian
501 W. Governor Road
Hershey, PA 17033
Phone: (717) 534-2082
Fax: (717) 534-9101
View Larger Map
The Interior of the building is in three levels. The main entrance level has a display of some of the vehicles donated to and owned by the Library. They are:
- a 1906 Mitchell Model C-4 Runabout
- a 1929 Harley Davidson Motorcycle
- a 1940 Ford Convertible Coupe
A 1925 Overland sits on the front porch of the AACA Headquarters and Library. Volunteers from the Sugarloaf Mountain Region have refurbished this car to a presentable appearance with money from donations and their free time.
There are also large display cases in the entrance level room for any member’s collection to be on display as well as some special pieces from donations by members.
The upper and lower level house the collection in space-saving movable stacks. This is reference material that has been donated as well as bought by the library for its value and use. Along with these files, there are flat files, card catalog and work centers for the staff as well as tables and chairs for those who have come in to do research. Along side of the AACA collection sits the literature collections for several marque clubs that pay the library for storing their material and having it available to their membership.
The following organizations house their materials in the AACA Library & Research Center:
- The Pontiac-Oakland Club International
- The Lincoln Motor Car Foundation
- The Buick Heritage Alliance
- The Museum of Bus Transportation
- The National Corvette Restorers Society
- The Society of Automotive Historians Ralph Dunwoodie Archives
- SPAAMFAA (Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus in America)
- Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
- Pierce-Arrow Society
Donations can be made to our Endowment Fund and the library will use the interest that is generated for operational needs. This fund can be given to in any amount by anyone. If the donation is $1000 or more there is a gift returned of either a beautiful “captain style” chair embossed with the donor’s name or two beautiful study lamps also engraved. These gifts are valued at $300.00. These donations can be as a gift, an honorarium, or a memorial from individuals or regions.
We have established a much needed and now in effect Maintenance Fund that is also welcoming donations. Regular donations, gifts, memorial donations and honorariums not specified go into the general operations fund.